My previous post shared a bit of information about my collaborator, Linda Fourie, and the theme of our styled shoot at CREATION farm outside of the seaside town of Hermanus in South Africa’s gorgeous Hemel-en-Aarde valley. Today we take a look at the farm itself and the dishes we chose for the shoot.
CREATION is a renowned South African winery with plenty of awards and accolades up their talented sleeves. The story of CREATION Wines is as old as the hills - dating back to when Mother Nature created South Africa's beautiful Hemel-en-Aarde and bestowed upon it exceptional winegrowing conditions. Today, they have a fresh, innovative winemaking team that is so in tune with the region’s exceptional terroir that they are able to produce wines of distinction with minimal intervention.
Our shoot took place at a large, outdoor table situated in the middle of the vineyards, looking out over the valley. I actually happened upon this awe-inspiring space on a previous visit to the farm, and had been itching to use it as a setting for a dinner or shoot ever since. Needless to say, I was tickled pink when Linda agreed that our collaboration could take place against this beautiful backdrop.
About THE MENU
I wanted to keep the food simple and delicious, but visually stunning, so we chose fresh, seasonal dishes that go perfectly with the South African summer climate. Most of these recipes can be prepared the day before you plan to host a lunch, while the rest require a quick 15-minute burst of effort before you can dish it up.
If you’re planning a festive affair with friends and family over the silly season, these recipes are easy to follow, fun to prepare and will always make a big impression. Happy cooking!
HUMMUS WITH ROASTED AUBERGINE, FIGS + CORN
Serves | 8
Preparation time | 60 minutes
WINE PAIRING | Creation Chardonnay 2016
For the hummus
2 tin chickpeas, reserve ¼ cup liquid
2 clove garlic
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
grated zest and juice of 2 lemon
salt + freshly group pepper
For the roasted aubergine
500g baby aubergines, ½ halved + ½ whole
4 sprigs rosemary
3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
salt + freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
1 lemon, halved
4 ripe figs, quartered + sliced
1 sweetcorn, corn cut off the cob
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. For the hummus, place the chickpeas, liquid, garlic, cumin + grated zest in a jug blender, process until smooth. Season well with lemon juice, salt + pepper.
3. For the roasted aubergine, arrange the aubergines + rosemary sprigs on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper + cumin, squeeze over lemon juice. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool down slightly.
4. To serve, spoon hummus onto serving plate, arrange aubergines, figs + corn on top. Drizzle with olive oil and ground black pepper.
ORANGE, PAPRIKA + PRONTO MAMA ROASTED LEG OF LAMB
Serves | 6-8
Preparation time | 5-6 hours
WINE PAIRING | Creation Syrah Grenache
1 * 2kg leg of lamb
salt + ground pepper
¼ cup (60 ml) smoked paprika
2 tbsp (30 ml) ground cumin
1 cinnamon stick
2 onions, quartered
4 orange, thickly sliced
6 sprigs rosemary
2 cups (500 ml) red wine
3 cups (750 ml) beef stock
½ cup (125 ml) pronto mama slow roasted tomatoes + extra for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C.
2. Rub the leg of lamb with the salt, pepper, paprika + cumin. Place in a deep oven tray, arrange the onion, orange slices, rosemary + cinnamon stick around it, add the red wine + stock.
3. Cover with foil and roast for 4-5 hours or until the meat is very tender. Remove the foil, spread the slow roasted tomatoes over and roast for another 45-60 minutes or until carmelised. Serve while hot.